One of the problems I have encountered while driving in Italy is "which way am I heading, east, north or whatever"? As well as sitting in the left hand driver's seat and driving on the right hand side of the road, the sun at late morning is in the south - not the north as I'm used to. So when I think I'm heading east (to the sea), I'm actually heading away from it when I use all my instinctive driving skills.
So we headed out of Fano to the south, this time using Ann's navigating skills and headed towards Senigallia and found the coast road and the sea at Torrette.
The sea is more like Port Phillip, no waves but the beach is protected by a series of breakwaters running parallel to the beach with breaks in the wall to allow small boats through from the beach. The sand is a somewhat brown colour and to us not very inviting. On the western side of the beachfront road are numerous camp grounds with vans already packed in ready for the summer.
We had a delightful seafood lunch in a little restaurant alongside the Senigallia "marina" and fishing wharf.
Continuing south along the coast we bypassed Ancona, the capital of Le Marche and ferry departure point for Croatia, Turkey, Cyprus and Greece and headed for Portonovo, a secreted away tourist resort with a fantastic coastline.
From above Portonovo presents as pristine white sandy beaches with a small village reaching to the sand. The white sand is actually rounded white pebbles and the village buildings are restaurants which appear to be put together rather awkwardly and little changing boxes. Not very attractive on the ground.
This part of the Adriatic Coast is not on our recommended must visit places.
The beach at Torrette
Breakwater and gaps at Torrette
Marina at Senigallia
Mussel boats at rest in Senigallia
Portonovo from the road above
No comments:
Post a Comment